Rise Above!

I am one of those fortunate individuals that can work because I want to work and not because I have to work. I am also one of those blessed individuals with extremely supportive parents who believed I should choose my own path and not take the path I am “supposed to”. I chose an industry which isn't the most reliable; I am an Event Planner. And I am a girl. When I chose this industry it was a calling, and I can't imagine doing anything else with my life now. Without thinking twice I started my own company at the ripe age of 26. Its been a slow beginning; but I know I will turn this into something incredible.


I have worked really hard to get where I am today and I owe all of it to the lessons those tough times have taught me. A lot of people I know wouldn’t think so. I know close friends of mine with whom I have grown up who would think “she’s not doing much with her life” and that “she is daddy's little girl who has been given an office so she can play boss”. That is true - I have a support system which most entrepreneurs only dream off; so excuse me if I make the most of it! You would too, if you were in my position.


So why is it that I am made to feel guilty for my fortunes time and time again? Recently I have been paying attention to this sort of thing and have realized who my friends really are. We can claim to come from forward thinking backgrounds, but our thoughts and behaviours are, by and large,traditional. This may not be true for some of us, but it certainly is true for the majority. I know friends (now acquaintances) who have made decisions in their lives they aren't particularly happy with. They see your success and don't know how to deal with it - and then the weird behaviour starts; and you cant help but think it’s your fault when in reality it most definitely isn't.


Seeing your closest friends becoming estranged, one tends to over compensate and "Fit in" so one don't "lose" them. The fact of the matter is they are long gone, and we just refuse to see it. There is no salvaging these relationships; they are beyond repair. We like to try and save them just because we’ve known them for a long time. But that honestly isn't a reason for one to change oneself to suit their idea of either “conventional” or “happy”.


Someone once told me that if you want to welcome someone or something new in your life you have to learn to let go of a few things to make some place. I couldn't agree more. We don't need negativity in your life. What we deserve is to be surrounded by people who adore us and love to have us around. A friend who calls you at 1 am in the morning because they want to see you before a short trip; friends and family who think of you first when they see something you like and vice versa; these are the relationships that enrich your life and add value - not the other way around.


So now you may turn around and say, “but we can't just walk away from someone we’ve known our entire life”! I agree. You are an adult now and we can behave civilly. Forgive but never forget - as forgetting would imply we didn’t learn from these instances. Always remember being angry with someone never really helps; the only person it hurts is you, because the person you are angry at is behaving the best they know how. They don't know any better. And you can't really change that because this is their journey to take.



Rise above, as you are better than that! Spread happiness - ‘coz what goes around comes around!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

That Sweet Moment!

When is it time to Quit

When Your Support System Malfunctions!