The Privileged Guilt



I am one of those fortunate individuals who have everything and I am aware of it. I have a family that adores and spoils me, a business that’s doing reasonably well, friends who always have my back and employees who are like family. Yes, I lead a very charmed life and I am aware of it. The reason why I say I am aware is because I am grateful. So grateful that ever so often a feeling of guilt creeps in when I see the few less fortunate struggling about things I so mindlessly dismiss.

In a society where 90% of the wealth is owned by 10% of the population survival becomes hand to mouth. Rising prices leaves majority reaching for scraps and scampering to make ends meet. This has been the harsh reality of society since the evolution of the class system. We have designed it in such a way that power is kept in the hands of a few leaving the rest in despair.

We as the privileged lot take so much for granted where basic human rights aren’t available to the masses. Thankfully in India our help becomes like family. All of us have help that have been with us for years. They have raised our children like their own, fed us like our mother would and wept for us in our times of need. Isn’t it only fitting that in their time of need we come to the rescue?

A week or so ago I was on vacation and an employee fainted in my premises. He is a hardworking and humble soul who always offers me his meal before eating. It warms my heart while I taste a bit compliment his wife’s cooking and thank him. He was taken to the doctor and medication was provided. Once I came back I had a chat with him saying he should be eating his meals on time. Mind you, age wise he could be my father. After probing I found out that his wife wasn’t keeping well which is why he hasn’t been eating cause he doesn’t know how to cook and neither does he have the money to eat out everyday.

The next day I ordered him to go to the doctor get him and his wife tested. Once the results came out I realised the problem was way more serious and they have been battling this for the past 7 years. They have pawned most of their valuable assets to pay for the medical treatments that haven’t proven very fruitful. As I sat their looking at that innocent helpless face my heart sank and a wave of guilt came over me, me being his employer wasn’t aware of this while he has been toiling away and showing up for work everyday over the years.

Getting to know your employees helps you and them in ways you cant imagine. It shows them that you genuinely care and that they aren’t just another number of a balance sheet. It also helps you as an employer to sympathise with them when they have their off days or make mistakes. It also gives you a new appreciation for their loyalty and dedication.

Each employer’s capacity to help their employees in their time of need differs but just listening to them and assuring them that everything will be ok is in most cases the bulk of the soothing they need.

Count your blessings everyday…. We are the privileged lot… and with privilege come some sense of accountability and responsibility.


Like I always say: Smile, Breath and Go Slowly….

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

That Sweet Moment!

When is it time to Quit

When Your Support System Malfunctions!