The Year That Has Been...

I started my company at a turning point in my life. I got out of a toxic relationship and my work helped me stay afloat. It was my escape, my salvation. It was hard at first because everything became a chore and a serious one at that. From getting out of bed in the morning to simple follow ups. But one step at a time I came out of it.

Looking back three years later I have more or less achieved everything I set my heart on:

1.     I wanted to be feathered in the media. Midday and DNA to mention a few have covered me.
2.     I wanted to publish something. I wrote an article that got picked up by Hospitality Biz.
3.     I wanted to start my own banquet. I have a beautiful experimental space in Ballard Estate that’s my pride and joy. Yiamas: The Experimental Space!
4.     I wanted to grow my team. I did.

The list does go on but I can say with gratitude in my heart that not a lot of people can sit at the end of one of the biggest slumps in our country’s economic history and say “God has been kind” I am one of those fortunate few. Having said that I am not saying it was smooth sailing. I did experience my share of storms some harsher that the rest but when you see the sun rise you know the battle was worth it.

Entering the New Year with a smile wider than most for me is more that I had expected. I had always told my mother, “ My 20s were harsh, and I know my 30s will be kinder to me.” And I can already see that happen. But every so often; more often that I would like; people would come up and say things like “when are the wedding bells?” or “you should slow down and find someone now, work will keep happening.” I can feel a few of you nodding at the screen while reading this. Yes, it's true you are not alone in the endless struggle to “settle down.”

For all you who think that my kind is missing out on something let me stop you there and re- assure you; you couldn’t be further from the truth. Similar people like spending most our social time cultivating relationships that last a lifetime. We value our connections and in term value me. I know today that “loneliness” is something I will never suffer from because my friends and family won’t let it happen. I am blessed that way, as I am sure most of us are.

Someone once showed me a picture of a girl sitting on a windowsill with a cup of coffee looking out with the tag line saying  “Loneliness or Paradise? You decide.” Once I became ok with being just with myself and enjoying my alone time my headspace changed and everything took a new light. This wasn’t easy but once you get to know yourself everything in your life changes. You will start to discard what doesn't serve you which will make way for new experiences, people, and opportunities. 

2016 was a huge learning curve for me. I am excited to see what the year ahead holds for me.
So here’s to the coming year…

One Step at a time,

One Punch at a time,


One Round at a time……

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

That Sweet Moment!

When is it time to Quit

When Your Support System Malfunctions!