Your First Employee....

I remember my first job... scared out of mind I turned up 45 minutes before I was suppose to. The HR department said the co ordinator hadn't come in as yet which left me with 45 minutes to wonder about what my first day would be like, colleagues, lunch etc. It was everything I hadn't imagined because as a fresher in the service industry no one had the patience to guide me through office politics, favouritism etc. Like everyone else you are left in the wild to fend for yourself.

I come from a family of entrepreneurs and always knew I would start out on my own someday. So I started cataloging all my bosses and made notes about them in a little book  titled "Dos and Donts of a Great Leader." Over the years I listed traits, quirks etc of all my bosses. Some of them were really hilarious and some of them aspirational. I learnt from them and tried my best to be like a few of them.

I obviously look up to my father as he has the best management technique I have seen till date. But there were many others as well. One that never lost his cool and always had something encouraging to say but told you when you screwed up. On the other hand there was one that was crass and you felt like you will never amount to anything. Though excellent in his trade with 30 years of experience behind him he left me with a sour taste in the mouth. The Dos and Donts list is endless...... and I thought I was ready to be the leader I trained myself to be.

Clearly!!!!!!! All that went out the window when my first employee walked in through the doors!

All the hilarity apart it wasn't a bad day..... but something hit me.... I wasn't anything like the list!!!!!

He came in and I walked him through everything like I was suppose too.... But I was Me!

I was confident but not cocky,
I was firm but not arrogant,
I was funny but not out of line.

Now please don't get me wrong.... It was the first day and there will be days I won't be all that... But I know this for sure... I will strive to be someone that my colleagues aspire to be....

Because I know one thing that only a few leaders understand.....

You are as successful as the loyalty of your employees,
You can't do it alone.....

And whoever said they can.... CLEARLY..... are delusional.


Stay Foolish... Stay Hungry..... - Steve Jobs

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

That Sweet Moment!

When is it time to Quit

When Your Support System Malfunctions!